Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2 Great recipes for the holidays!

I know I'm from the south and I should eat "dressing" but this is what I ate growing up. My mom calls this Yankee stuffing. This is one of my grandmother's recipes. She got it from a 1950's cookbook. This was the one thing I got to help my mom with for Thanksgiving dinner when I was little. I would sit at the table and tear up the bread pieces watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I usually double this recipe for a large crowd.

Fluffy Stuffing

1 c onion. chopped
1 c butter or margarine ( i like to use margarine because it doesn't burn as easily as butter)
6 c soft bread, cubed or just torn
6 c rice krispies
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 c chicken broth ( you can use canned broth or homemade broth from the turkey giblets)
salt and pepper to taste














1) tear up or cube the bread. You can use white, whole wheat or a mix. Pour the 6 cups into a large bowl add the 6 cups of Rice Krispies. Toss together.
2) cook onion in butter or margarine until golden and onions are clear. Add poultry seasoning to this a stir.
3) Pour over rice Krispies and bread cubes. . Mix well.
4) Place the mixture in a baking dish. Drizzle the broth over the mixture.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes ( cover if desired soft and uncover for crunchy)
TIP: GIBLET BROTH: Boil the neck, liver, and other things stuffed in the turkey when bought. Simmer for about 1 hour. Use 1/2 cup of broth for the stuffing. Discard the rest. 
This is my mom's recipe. I have been eating this awesome pie for years. It is easy to make and best served cold. I like to make it the night before and put it in the fridge to chill. I once had a boyfriend that loved this pie so much that he called it Buttermilk dream pie! LOL This recipe makes 2 pies but of course you can half it and make 1. Enjoy!
Mama's Buttermilk Pie



1 Cup butter, melted


6 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Cups sugar

1 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla





























2 (9in) deep dish unbaked pie shells




Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1)Add butter to eggs
2)Add combined dry ingredients, buttermilk and vanilla.
3)Pour into pie shells evenly.
4)bake for 50mintues to 1 hour.
TIP: If you have a pie shield place it on top of crust about 35min into cooking. If you don't you can cover the crust with foil to keep it from burning.























































No comments:

Post a Comment