Friday, November 12, 2010

Grandma's Cranberry Salad

I grew up with my grandmother and mom making this every year for the holidays. This is not your standard cranberry out of the can mush.You make it the night before and let it chill overnight. This is one less dish you have to make the next day. I have carried on the tradition and serve this for my family and friends. It is super yummy!

INGREDIENTS:


1 sm package of cherry jello
1 c hot water
1 c sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 c drained crushed pineapple (juice reserved)
1 c pineapple juice (use the reserved juice and add water to make 1 cup)
1 c ground cranberries
1 orange (ground)
1/2 c pecans, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

1)boil the cup of water. Dissolve the jello in the hot water in an 8in square pan mix well. Add the sugar, lemon juice and pineapple juice. Stir to dissolve well.
2)Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Chill overnight. 
*Grandma's Tips:Chop up the pecans first before getting blender wet. Or you could just buy pre chopped pecans and save a step. Use the blender to chop up cranberries, then orange, seeded partially peeled. The chopped peel gives it that special zing!

2 comments:

  1. I remember you serving that when we were over at your house for Thanksgiving! Brooks STILL talks about your grilled turkey! :) thanks for making me STILL look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa that is too funny! Yes the grilled turkey is Da Bomb! Its so easy to do too! Just let me know if you want instructions! I am also going to post the recipe for my stuffing that you requested.

    ReplyDelete