Saturday, July 17, 2010

Vent Fest!

Ok so I just have to let it out because this is just the last straw! So many of you know that I decorate cakes. I have people ask me a lot to do cakes too! But here is the part that I have to vent about. First off when I do a cake it takes me all day to do it. I customize cakes to what the person wants. Its not the cakes that you just get at walmart that are just sheet cakes with just buttercream and plastic fugures ontop. If I can I try and make the figures myself and I also make my own buttercream and fondant. The cake supplies itself is expensive then you have to add the time you put into making the cakes too and clean up! It amazes me that people are willing to pay me $60 bucks for an hour massage but then when I tell them their cake will cost around $60 they don't want to pay it. I'm not willing to go down on my prices just because someone doesn't want to pay that price. If you look around on the internet you will see that I'm really not that expensive. I feel that my time is worth more than that and I'm not going to lower my prices because you are not willing to pay for it. If you want Walmart prices then go to Walmart. If you want a one of a kind cake that everyone will remember and not to mention it will taste great too then see me. Oh and it's not just the size of the cake either it's also how much detail is put into it. Sure I can do a buttercream sheet cake that says happy birthday on it for $35 but you aren't going to get details. This is not stemming from one incident in particular but a bunch over time that has just built up into me just having to let it all out. Sorry that yall had to witness my venting but if I didn't I might just explode! LOL

3 comments:

  1. PS. Just a little side note... that cake I posted is one of my favorite cakes and has nothing to do with the person that it went to. I was just trying to post an example of one of my cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know what you mean 100%!! People have NO CLUE as to what goes into making a cake. The time alone it takes to make the cake plus the ingredients and supplies! My Mom does wedding cakes and people always seemed so shocked about the price and my mom only charges for the ingredients! I earned one of my YW personal progress 10 hour projects by helping her and it took longer than that to make the cake. Anyway..now you have me venting!! LOL...sorry to go off on you but as you can see, I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Megan I'm glad you understand!

    ReplyDelete