Sunday, May 16, 2010

Landon's EEG






Landon recently had an EEG. He started having these things that looked like spasms. He would dip his head real quick and his arms would stiffen up. They would come in multiple spasms. I knew that is looked weird so the first day he did them I wrote it down on my calendar. I even video taped it on my cell phone so when we went to the doctor that he could actually see him doing them. I looked up infant spasms online and looked at videos of other kids doing the exact same thing. It really freaked me out. After doing some research I got even more freaked out. The info said that when a child has infantile spasms that each spasm can cause brain damage, anything that they have learned to do like sit up, roll over, etc... that they might start regressing and stop doing them all together. So after reading this I took him to his doctor right away. The doctor said it was hard to see from my cell phone the whole spasm so he decided to set up an EEG. He could tell that I did my research and that I was really concerned. I'm glad that I had two other children who never did this sort of thing to compare it to. I was not going to take the doctor telling me that it was normal until I had proof. So the doctor said that he needed a EEG ASAP. He wanted it done within 2 days. At first the people at the hospital said that they couldn't set anything up until July! He said that wasn't good enough and after a couple of other dates they finally set it up for that Friday. So we were up pretty early that morning because Landon could only eat 4 hours before the procedure. Since it started at 8am, I was up at 3:55am giving him a bottle and then trying to get him back to sleep. He had to also be awake 2 hours earlier than he usually wakes up. So after I got him back to sleep I had Josh go in and wake him up at 5:15am and we had to keep him awake till they started the procedure. Once we got there they had to scrub all these spots on his head so the glue stuff would stick better. I was scared that they were going to rub the little hair he had on his head off. After scrubbing they glued little colored wires all over his little head. They then wrapped his head in gauze so that the wires would stay on. As soon as they did that Landon fell asleep and slept through the whole thing. He was such a trooper! The guy couldn't believe how well he behaved during the whole thing. He said that some kids try to pull off all the wires. So the whole procedure lasted about an hour from start to finish. Landon's doctor had told me that I would know something that afternoon after the Neurologist looked at the scan but I didn't hear anything till Monday when I had called to find out the results. The doctor said that the scan looked normal! I was so excited! We still have an appointment for this Friday to see a pediatric neurologist to see what he thinks Landon maybe doing. But I'm glad that it is not infantile spasms. So when I find out what the other doctor thinks I will post the info then. Thank you all who said prayers for our little guy and family. I know that they truly did help.

6 comments:

  1. How often did you notice he did these? Was it just that one time?

    I looked up spasms after you first posted about it. It is scary stuff so I'm glad to hear that it indeed came back normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He would have them several times a day. He still has them but they are not as frequent. The infantile spasms are a form of epilepsy. So I'm glad that he doesn't have that. I just wander what the heck it is. I think it could be a immature nervous system and kids usually grow out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great news Leah! So happy for you little guy. Hopefully it's just some fluke thing that he'll grow out of. Oh..and I'm making those Ranch Potatoes tomorrow for dinner...looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD! I'm so relieved and I KNOW you are too. How scary and seeing my little boy all wired up like that and bandaged would BREAK MY HEART!!!! You're right though, if this was your first you KNOW the doctor would give you the "first mom" look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things worked out alright. I hope it is something he grows out of and soon. Best of luck. You are vey brave and so is Landon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah! That is so scary! I'm so glad the EEG came back normal. I'm sure him sleeping through it made it much easier!

    ReplyDelete